Looking up to people


I have a few mentor's. I try to examine their lives and see how they handle certain situations and really see what makes them tick. Having examples in your life is good and bad. Because it is natural to look up to them and expect them to be as close to perfect as possible. So you ultimately set them up to eventually disappoint you sooner or later.

There is an one person that I have a great deal of respect and that I do in fact look up to (I'm not referring to Bo Jackson, but I did look up to him in my youth). But he has recently done and said some things that have knocked him off of the pedestal that I placed him on, thus came the disappointment. But who should I really blame? Him? Because he didn't live up to the unrealistic standards I placed before him? I don't think so, so I blame myself.

So now I try to categorize the attributes he had, that I longed to have for myself, and list the attributes, thus separating the attributes from the individual. I like this approach much better. I even have tried to regain some of the respect that I lost from this person, because of my unrealistic expectations. This approach feels much better.

1 comment:

kris said...

It is hard to look up to people, knowing that someday that you will be let down. The unrealistic goals we place on individuals is the human flaw we have. We all desire someone to look up to. Some choose super heroes, athletes, religious leaders, teachers, neighbors, and friends,just we forget they can error we are human and when we screw up we often times forget that someone is watching. I just hope that my children realize the can look up to me but please know that I make mistakes, but I will work them out to be a better person. Just like I hope they will do and never sell them selves short. So if I am always striving to be better I hope I don't let those down that are look up to me!