Admitting Fault


I find it rather interesting why people will refuse to be wrong or at fault. Why? As far as I know everyone makes mistakes so is it too difficult to admit fault once and a while? Nothing gets to me more than someone who is blatantly wrong and refuses to admit fault and ask for forgiveness (ie. G.W. Bush).

The reason I am ranting about this now is because I have been more aware of my previous inability to admit fault. In my marriage I have gone to great lengths to prove my point even if I realized in the conversation that I was wrong. My ego & pride get in the way all too often. My wife is way to good of a person to have to deal with someone who won't admit to his mistakes and try to make them right. She has forgiven me each time I have admitted fault, which is a credit to her.

I have taken a more active role to admit when I have been wrong. It sucks at first, but the end result has been rather positive. I have even been proven wrong by my kids! It has been an eye opener and I have enjoyed it.

So here is my 2 cents: In a discussion, if someone gives you a conflicting view or opinion, don't try to correct them immediately or prove them wrong. Swallow your ego a little and try saying, "You could be right & I'll have to consider that." And watch what happens. It's definitely helps my relationships.

1 comment:

kris said...

You have taught me a great deal, I don't have to be right all the time. I am never right half the time. But to take a step back and realize that I could be wrong and admitting that is huge!